Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Giving you "the biz"...

Many of you are probably wondering "who" the crazy guy is that I am going with to Vanuatu.  His name is Caleb Bislow and he is an itinerant speaker for Kingdom Building Ministries.  He has a heart for the "unreached" people that have not heard the Gospel.  I met Caleb about 3 years ago through my youth pastor, Derry Prenkert.  Caleb and I hit it off instantly as our passions collided.  From that point on I knew that Caleb and I would venture on an overseas mission trip sometime in the future.  Caleb developed a strong burden for the Vanuatu people several years ago.  He has kept his eye on this specific people group (Bunlap Tribe) on Pentecost ever since.

Caleb asked me to venture with him to Vanuatu a little over a year ago.  I have spent a great deal of time praying and seeking guidance in making this decision for the past 12 months.  I even wrote a semester long research paper on the Bunlap Tribe of Pentecost Island.  I have developed a strong burden to share with these people the hope in Jesus that I have.

This trip is very unique.  It is much different than any trip I have ever been on.  While my previous trips have been scheduled out in detail, this trip will not.  This is what Caleb calls a "scouting trip."  We have no agenda except to learn and love.  We want to learn as much as we can about the culture, people, history, rituals, etc. while loving the people in the process.  Caleb plans to come back sometime in the next year to take the next steps.  If there is one specific thing that can be prayed for at this time it is that the Holy Spirit would lead us in every decision and action we take on this trip.  We plan to spend a lot of time listening to what God wants us to do.  

I am very excited about venturing with Caleb, Mike Phipps (good friend and future cousin-in-law), and Brandon (whom I have not yet met).  I plan to post more and more as the trip gets closer.  

(The picture above includes Caleb holding his son Trace with his wife Jess Bislow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment