Friday, April 3, 2009

Senior Speech "Firsts" and "Lasts"

I spent some time talking about all the things that we had done as a team this year for the first time.  I then followed all the "Firsts" with all the things I will never be able to do again.  All good things need to come to an end sometime. Note: Some of these statements are inside jokes that you will most likely not think are funny).

As I spent time reflecting back on this season I realized how This year was filled with many firsts for our group:

First time we started 17-0.

**First time we beat IWU on their home court (This war wrongly stated).

First time we beat Taylor on their home court.

First time we tied for the regular season conference championship after beating the team we tied with 3 times.

First time we ever made it to the Final 4 in Branson.

First time we got to see Coach Lightfoot get inducted into the Hall of Fame…because that was the first time he was inducted. J

First time we got to be part of 600 career wins with a Coach.

First time we got to play in front of a crowd like we did when we played Grace in Wiekamp.

First time we got to play with a Player of the Year.

First time we won 33 games in a season.

 

Each of those “Firsts” is accompanied by many lasts for me as a player.  Here are just a few of the many lasts for me:

Last time I will ever play in front of the Wiekamp Wackos.

Last time I will ever hear “Lantz for 3.”

Last time I will ever get to guard Kyle Benge or Anthony Murrell.

Last time I will ever dive on the floor for anything that actually means something.  (I’ve pretty much decided I’m not diving on the floor in any church leagues.)

Last time I will ever play a complete game with a concussion. 

            (It still ticks me off that the guy I was guarding had like 35 points on me.)

Last time I will ever get to laugh hysterically at all the different characters we have on this team.

Last time I will ever get to sleep with Tyler on our road trips.

Last time I will ever get to shut down Derek and Tony in practice.

Last time I will ever have Will around to lift me up so I can dunk it.

Last time I will ever get to sit in the ice bath with Mark.

Last time I will have THE fast break handicap, Wes Laidig, throwing rockets at my head from less than five feet away.

Last time I will ever get to play for a legendary coach that can’t dress himself.

            (Kind of glad I don’t have to see Coach in Daisy Dukes again!)

Last time I will ever play for a coach who is afraid to play me in one-on-one again.

Last time I will ever play for a coach that gets his words mixed up.

            “What is easy?!?!”

            Said something to Will, “Square, score, and attack.”

Last time I will ever be part of a “Band of Brothers” where people care about others more than themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment